Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Rapist's Parental Rights In Iowa

I do not live in Iowa anymore but, at one time I did.
Iowa was the place where I got a fresh start. I reported my rapist, went to therapy, got married and gave birth to my son.  The tiny town of Humboldt gave me a safe place to begin my recovery as a rape and incest survivor. I am grateful for the love and community I had there and now I want to return the favor. So I will start by helping raise awareness about rapists parental rights to any children born as a result of their attack.

According to Iowa CASA : (Coalition Against Sexual Abuse)
Rape
  • Nearly 1 in 5 women have been raped in their lifetime. 1 in 31 men have been raped in their lifetime.
  • Approximately 80% of female victims experienced their first rape before the age of 25 and almost half experienced the first rape before age 18 (30% between 11-17 years old and 12% at or before the age of 10)
  • About 35% of women who were raped as minors were also raped as adults compared to 14% of women without an early rape history.
  • 28% of male victims of rape were first raped when they were 10 years old or younger.


    These Statics can also be found here .

I know these statics all too well and they still sicken me as they should anyone who reads them.
 Now imagine if you or someone you loved was a victim of rape and had a child as a result. Imagine having to let their nightmare, your nightmare interact with said child?
Why is this allowed?

In America there are states where convicted rapists are allowed to sue their victims for parental rights. Iowa is one of them. In some states women are forced against their will to not terminate a rape pregnancy, until a certain waiting period is up.  Regardless your views on abortion, a woman's body is her own and after a rapist has stolen her right, it is so unfair that the LAW  continues this injustice by not allowing her, HER right to her own body.
The Huffington post has more gut wrenching statistics here. 


I am posting today in hopes you will stand with me and fellow survivors, both those who faced parenting a child of rape, and those who have not. Please click HERE and sign the petition to help Iowa Rape victims protect themselves from further harm of their rapists and attackers. Help these survivors make a safer world than they have known for their children.
If you're against abortion then please sign the petition in hopes to discourage women from having them because they will feel safer about their child being protected from a rapist. If you are pro-abortion please sign the petition to protect a women's right to choose. Period.

Thank you in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment